<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Do you need site insurance for a self-build? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do you need site insurance for a self-build?

Self-builds are an amazing opportunity to create something completely unique, but they usually present a few challenges along the way. One of the most important things you need to consider is what sort of insurance you need, should something go wrong.

In this video, part of our FAQ series, we answer the question ‘Do you need site insurance for a self-build?’.

What is site insurance?

Site insurance is designed to protect self-builders from the moment work starts (or even before) until the build is complete. It protects you from unforeseen events that may cause damage, injury, or loss.

It is often included as part of a bundle of insurance products designed to cover different circumstances. You should check any site insurance policy to see exactly what it includes.

What does site insurance cover?

Site insurance should protect you against a range of incidents, including if someone is injured or killed on site. This could be a builder, visitor or even you or your family. It also includes people who are on-site without permission.

What period does site insurance cover?

This may depend on your circumstances. You can get cover to start as soon as you own the land or when you start work. Your insurance will cover you until the project is complete, and can usually be extended if necessary.

What other insurance do I need?

You should also consider self-build insurance. This includes a cluster of insurance products that are suitable whether you are building by yourself or have employed contractors to do some or all the work for you.

What does self-build insurance include?

You can often tailor self-build insurance so it provides protection exactly the way you need it. The sorts of things you should check it covers include:

  • public liability insurance
  • employers’ liability insurance
  • contractors all risk insurance
  • insurance for your tools and any plant (either owned or hired)
  • legal expenses

You should also consider buildings and contents insurance. However, a good self-build insurance package may include this, along with site insurance and a structural warranty.

If you are unsure as to what you need, you should talk to an insurance company familiar with self-builds to ensure you have cover that fully protects you.

Why do I need all this insurance?

There may be some circumstances in which you are legally obliged to have insurance cover, for example if you act as an employer in relation to anyone working on your site. This could include volunteers or sub-contractors.

The risks of something going wrong on a self-build project are quite high, and the costs of damages, compensation and legal fees can be significant if you are at fault. If you can’t pay, your self-build and your assets could be at risk.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.