<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Painter and Decorator Insurance | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or
Public Liability insurance forPainters and Decorators

Public Liability insurance for
Painters and Decorators

Get a quote
feefo 5 stars
feefo platinum

Your cover options


Our painters and decorator's Essentials package includes Public Liability insurance and cover for Financial Loss.

  • Public Liability insurance up to £5 million
  • Employers' Liability insurance £10 million
  • Financial Loss £100,000


Our Classic package builds on the Essentials by offering Professional Indemnity cover as well as Accidental Death and Tools cover.

  • Public Liability insurance up to £5 million
  • Employers' Liability insurance £10 million
  • Professional Indemnity cover £100,000
  • Financial Loss cover £100,000
  • Accidental Death cover
  • First £1,000 of Tools cover (can be increased to £15,000)


Our most popular option, the Plus package builds on the Classic by further adding Personal Accident cover, which can be increased based on your needs.

  • Public Liability insurance up to £5 million
  • Employers' Liability insurance £10 million
  • Professional Indemnity cover £100,000
  • Financial Loss cover £100,000
  • Accidental Death cover
  • First £1,000 of Tools cover (can be increased to £15,000)
  • Personal Accident cover up to £600 a week per person


Looking for extra insurances for your building work? We have a list of optional extras to give you the cover you need: 

  • Contract Works
  • Owned Plant
  • Hired in Plant
  • Jury Service cover
Get a quote

Why do you need painter and decorator insurance cover?

You and your company may be financially liable for the result of accidents caused by you, your company or a contractor, either on your site or elsewhere. Public liability claims can be very expensive, which could have a major impact on you and your decorating business. As well as giving you peace of mind to get on with your job, many companies and trade associations require evidence of public liability insurance.

Public liability insurance for painters and decorators

Our public liability insurance for self-employed painters and decorators starts at £1 million liability cover, which you can extend to £2 million or £5 million. This offers protection for you and your business against claims that may arise from a member of the public for injury or loss suffered as a result of your actions or your employees. Plus, you have the option to pay in monthly instalments on Direct Debit.

Get a quote

Who do we cover?

  • Sole traders, partnerships, limited companies and limited liability partnerships
  • Painters and decorators for domestic and commercial property types
  • Individuals, small to medium sized businesses specialising in interior and exterior decorating work
  • Businesses with turnover of up to £3 million

Flexible cover

If you choose our classic or plus cover level you will also get £1,000 of all risks Tools insurance included. This cover is effective 24 hours a day, anywhere in the UK, and includes overnight thefts from your van following a violent and forcible break in to your vehicle. If necessary, cover can be extended up to £15,000.

Professional Indemnity insurance of £100,000 is also included as standard with our classic or plus cover.

Optional extras

If you have people working for you, you can add employers’ liability insurance to the policy. This provides cover for up to 15 permanent manual employees and up to 100 days for temporary workers.

It’s not just injuries or loss to other people that you should consider insurance. There is also the option to include personal accident cover if you select our Plus cover, which could pay an income if you are unable to work as the result of an accident at work.

Cover for bigger business

We provide painters and decorators’ Liability insurance online for businesses with an annual turnover up to £3 million and up to 15 manual employees. If your business is bigger than this, please ring our UK based team on 0800 0280 380 or find other ways to contact us via our contact us page.

Property types

We provide cover for domestic and commercial properties excluding the following hazardous works:

  • piling, quarrying or the use of explosives, tunneling, water diversion, pile driving, dam construction or work within or behind dams
  • any work of demolition except demolition carried out by employees in your direct service:
    1. of private dwellings and/or shops consisting of not more than  floors (including the ground floor) and attic
    2. of other structures not exceeding 4 metres in height as part of a road or sewer contract undertaken by you
  • the construction, alteration or repair of towers, steeples, chimney shafts, viaducts, bridges or docks
  • the making of main sewers
  • any work outside the European Union
  • any work on any structure exceeding 10 metres in height

Related content and insurances

Painters & Decorators insurance FAQs

Looking for more information on whether painters and decorators insurance is right for you? From general questions to specific scenarios, find the answer to your query.

Painters & Decorators FAQs
Tools insurance

Tools insurance

Tools are your livelihood, that's why we offer standalone cover just for your tools. A great addition to an existing policy, tools insurance covers you up to £15,000.
Tools insurance
Van insurance

Van insurance

Get covered with comprehensive, third party only or third party fire & theft van insurance. Check out our cover options, features and benefits.


Whether you're looking for more information, or a specific answer, we have a hefty FAQs section, where you should find what you're looking for.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.