<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Public liability insurance for events - Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do I need public liability insurance for an event?

In this video, part of our Public Liability FAQ series, we answer the question ‘Do I need public liability insurance for an event?’.

Whenever you are in a situation that involves contact with the public, it is important to consider your business' public liability cover - this includes trade shows and events.

Why do I need public liability insurance?  

If your work or business activities bring you into contact with members of the public, then you need public liability insurance. It will protect you in the event that your business activities cause harm, injury or damage to someone who is not involved with your work.  

Even with the most robust risk assessments in place, accidents can happen. They could be the result of dropping a heavy tool, using hazardous products, faulty workmanship, or just a simple mistake.  

Public liability insurance will cover your costs if the person who is injured or suffers damage to their property decides to make a claim against you. Such claims can amount to many thousands of pounds.   

Do I need public liability insurance for my event?  

The answer to this is nearly always yes, regardless of whether you are hosting the event or attending an event as a contributor or stall holder. However, it is not a legal requirement. 

Bear in mind that an event may be attended by members of the public, in addition to your employees or team members.  

Won’t the event host’s insurance cover my business?   

In most cases an event host will require you to have your own public liability insurance as part of their terms. This is likely to be the case whether the a venue is a hall you are hiring for your own event, or an event organiser has invited you to attend as an exhibitor.  

If you are the event organiser, and you have invited other businesses to attend, you should insist that exhibitors have their own public liability insurance. Ask to see a copy of their policy before granting admission.  

Does my existing policy cover events?  

You will need to check the precise terms of any existing public liability insurance policy you have, or ask your insurance provider for confirmation. If you are not sure, notify your insurance provider in advance of an event.  

If your existing policy does not include cover for a specific event, or ongoing events, your insurer may be able to arrange cover for you. 

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.