<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Do I need public liability insurance for a private party? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do I need public liability insurance for a private party?

What is public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance provides protection in the event a third party makes a claim against you for damage done to their property, or injuries they have sustained because of your work. It usually covers legal fees and compensation costs.

Who is public liability insurance for?

Businesses, sole traders, and entrepreneurs. It is not for individuals, such as homeowners.

If you are a homeowner / non-business thinking of hosting a party, you should check your home insurance policy to see what cover it provides, and whether you need to extend it.

As a business hosting a private party for clients, do I need public liability insurance?

There is no legal requirement to have public liability insurance for a private party, but it is recommended – even if the party is being held at your business premises.

If you are hiring a venue, they may require you to have insurance protection as part of their terms and conditions. You should always check the insurance position with the venue.

Unfortunately, accidents can happen. Someone’s laptop could be damaged. Alcohol may end up being spilled on furniture. Someone could suffer an injury from a slip, fall, burn or worse.

Public liability insurance covers you if you or one of your guests damages the venue or injures a member of staff by accident.

Even minor injuries and claims can sometimes add up to a great deal of money. In serious cases, compensation claims and legal costs can reach hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Do I need insurance if I am hosting the party in my own home?

Some home insurance policies restrict or exclude cover if the home is being used for business purposes, which could include a private party entertaining clients or suppliers. Portable electronic equipment can also be subject to limits.

You should always check the terms of your home cover insurance or speak to your insurance provider to clarify the position.

I am a sole trader. Do I still need public liability insurance for my party?

Yes, although it is not a legal requirement. We would recommend cover regardless how small your business may be. However careful you are, you cannot eliminate the risk of damage or injury.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.