<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Insurance Professional Indemnity FAQs | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Professional Indemnity insurance FAQs

Questions and answers that relate to professional indemnity insurance cover, which is included as standard with our Classic and Plus covers. These questions include what it is, and what it’s designed to cover.  This information is provided as a guide only, and if you have any doubts or questions, you can give our friendly team a ring on 0800 0280 380.

  • What is Professional Indemnity insurance?

    Professional Indemnity insurance is designed to cover legal costs and expenses incurred if you are subject to litigious action resulting from advice or guidance you have provided in your professional capacity.

    Read more about Professional Indemnity insurance

  • What level of Professional Indemnity insurance should I buy?

    There is no fixed and easy answer to this, and it depends on many factors. Some professional bodies or associations require professional indemnity cover, so if you’re a member of a trade body, it’s worth checking their membership criteria.

    Read more about levels of Professional Indemnity insurance

  • Does an Excess apply to Professional Indemnity insurance?

    Yes. There is an excess of £500 for each and every claim under the Professional Indemnity cover.

    Read more about policy excess

  • Does the excess apply to costs and expenses in defending a circumstance where no claim is paid?

    No. The excess does not apply in this circumstance.

    Read more about excess when no claim is paid

  • Is Professional Indemnity insurance required by law?

    No. Professional Indemnity insurance isn’t required by law in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, for tradespeople.

    Read more about legal requirements for Professional Indemnity insurance

  • Can I lower my Professional Indemnity insurance premium?

    If you buy our Classic or Plus product, you receive £100,000 of Professional Indemnity insurance cover.

    Read more about reducing your insurance cover

  • Can I increase my Professional Indemnity cover?

    Should you require a higher level of Professional Indemnity cover, please ring us on 0800 0280 380.

    Read more about increasing your insurance cover

  • Do I need Professional Indemnity cover after I stop work?

    If you stop working in your current professional capacity, claims for Professional Indemnity negligence can still be lodged against you for a period of time.

    Read more about cover after stopping work

Any more questions?

If you have a question that’s not answered here, please ring us on 0800 0280 380.

If you'd like to get a Tradesman's Public Liability quote, please visit our Public Liability page.

Full details of our Terms & Conditions, Limits, Excesses and Policy Exclusions can be found in our policy wordings. These guides refer to our Tradesman's Insurance policy. Trade Direct do not offer advice relating to insurance, and you need to ensure that insurance you choose meets your demands and needs.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.