<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What is pest & vermin control insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What is pest and vermin control insurance?

If you work in the pest and vermin control industry, or are thinking of doing so, you may be wondering whether you need insurance and, if so, what the best kind of pest and vermin insurance may be.

Do you need insurance if you work in pest and vermin control?

There are likely to be multiple types of cover that you need to consider. Some may be required by law, while others may be requested as a term of your contract with a client.

All the different types of insurances exist to protect you and your business against claims made against you. They also provide peace of mind, and reassure potential clients and other businesses that you are properly set up.

What are the main types of insurance needed for pest and vermin control?

Employers’ liability insurance

First, if you employ anyone, you must have employers’ liability insurance. This is a legal requirement.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you against claims made by employees or former employees for injuries or illnesses suffered as a result of working for you. It applies to all employees, including part-timers, trainees, and some sub-contractors.

You can be fined £2,500 for each day that you don’t have it.

Public liability insurance

You will also need to consider public liability insurance. This is often a contractual requirement with larger clients and many trades organisations. It protects you from third-party claims for injuries or damage. These types of claims are common and can total thousands of pounds.

The sorts of incidents covered include damage caused to property as a result of the vermin control methods you use, or accidentally causing someone harm, e.g. if they mistakenly handle a toxic substance.

Professional indemnity insurance

This relates to advice you give which turns out to be wrong and causes a client a financial loss. This advice could be in relation to methods used for controlling pests or substances used.

Tools insurance

If you have any specific tools you cannot work without, you should consider getting them insured too. With tools insurance, any equipment that is lost or solen can be replaced quickly, without having to absorb significant costs.

How do I get insurance?

Choose an insurance company with experience of insuring different trades. They will usually offer a bundle of all the main insurance products you need, with the option to add extra cover as needed. You can also buy the different insurance types separately.

How much will my pest and vermin control insurance cost?

This will depend on a few factors including:

  • how much cover you need
  • how your business is set up
  • how many (if any) employees you have
  • what type of work you do
  • your claims history.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.