<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What are the cover options for heating engineers? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What are the cover options for heating engineers?

If you work as a heating engineer, you will probably want to know what your insurance cover options are, as well as what insurance you need or are required to have.

In this video, part of our Public Liability FAQ series, we answer the question ‘What are the coverage options for heating engineers?’.

Does it matter whether I am a sole trader or operate as a company?

You will want to consider which insurance covers you want whether you are a self-employed sole trader, limited company, or work as a partnership.

The only difference may be in respect of the cost of your premiums. These will partially be calculated according to how many employees you have and the size of the projects you take on.

What are the different types of insurance cover?

There are several types of insurance which provide cover for different aspects of your business.

Public liability insurance

This is designed to protect you and your business in the event your business causes damage or injury to a member of the public or a customer.

Product liability insurance

This relates to cover in respect of any products you supply or install that then causes damage, injury, or illness.

Employers’ liability insurance

Employers’ liability is a legal requirement if you have any employees. It is designed to protect you in the event a current or former employee successfully sues you for an injury or illness sustained while working for you.

Professional indemnity insurance

You may also need to consider cover if you provide advice about design, instructions, or specifications. Professional indemnity insurance will protect you if the information you provide results in a loss for a client

Other types of heating engineer insurance

You will almost certainly need to consider insurance cover for your tools and equipment, and possibly work premises too.

Must I have all the different types of insurance?

You are legally required to have employers’ liability if you have any employees, even if they are just trainees or part-timers.

Some large clients, developers, and public sector organisations may refuse to work with you if you don’t have appropriate insurance. You may also be denied membership of a trade association without full insurance cover.

Why do I need insurance cover?

Insurance cover is designed to protect you and your business in the event something goes wrong. Even minor incidents can result in you having to pay a large amount of money in respect of damages, compensation, and legal fees, if your business is found to be at fault.

If you can’t pay, your business and your assets will be at risk.

How much will cover cost?

The cost will vary depending on the nature and size of your business, the number of employees you have, the type of work you do, and where you do it.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.