<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What type of insurance do glaziers need? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What type of insurance do glaziers need?

In the glazing industry, where precision and safety are paramount, understanding the types of insurance necessary for optimal protection is crucial. This guide aims to answer pertinent questions about insurance for glaziers, so that you're well-informed and adequately covered.

Why is insurance essential for glaziers?

Given the nature of glazing work, which can involve working at heights, handling breakable materials, and potential property damage, having the right insurance safeguards your business financially and legally.

What types of insurance should a glazier consider?

Depending on the nature of your business, and the products and services you offer, you will likely need to consider some of the following types of cover.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance covers claims made against your business for injuries or damage caused to third parties or their property. Whether it’s a window pane shattering or a passerby injured at your worksite, public liability will cover the costs of claims, legal fees, and compensation payments.

Employers’ liability insurance

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ staff, whether they are full-time, part-time, or temporary workers. It protects your business against claims from employees who suffer injuries or illnesses as a result of their work.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance is crucial for glaziers who provide consultations or design services. If your advice or professional service leads to a client’s loss, this insurance can cover the compensation claims and associated legal costs.

Product liability insurance

Product liability insurance is important for glaziers who manufacture or supply glass and related products. If a product you supply causes injury or property damage, this insurance can protect you against claims and legal fees.

Stock in transit insurance

Stock in transit insurance is beneficial for glaziers who transport glass and materials. It covers the loss, damage, or theft of goods while they are being transported, ensuring you’re not out of pocket if your materials are compromised en route.

Legal expenses insurance

Legal expenses insurance can be a lifeline for glaziers facing legal action. It covers the cost of legal advice and representation, which can be invaluable in disputes, contract issues, or employment tribunals.

Business interruption insurance

Business interruption insurance is designed to cover loss of income during periods when you cannot carry out business as usual due to unexpected events. For glaziers, this could mean downtime due to equipment failure, property damage, or supply chain disruptions.

Contract works insurance

Contract works insurance is essential for larger glazing projects. It covers the work in progress against risks like fire, flood, vandalism, or theft. This is particularly important for projects that involve significant material costs and labour.

Personal accident insurance

Given the physical nature of the job, if you’re unable to work due to injury, personal accident insurance can provide financial support, covering lost income or medical expenses.

Determining an appropriate lever of cover for your glazing business

When preparing to approach an insurer, consider factors like:

  • the scale of your projects
  • the value of materials you handle
  • your interaction with clients and the public.

Consulting with an insurance expert who understands the glazing industry can help with obtaining tailored advice and a quote that reflects both your business’ needs and the level of cover required.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.