<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What does bricklayers' insurance typically cover? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What does bricklayers' insurance typically cover?

As a bricklayer, you may have heard different terms being used when discussing insurance for your type of work. You may also be wondering what bricklayers’ insurance typically covers. 

What is ‘bricklayers’ insurance’?  

It’s a general term that can ‘mean’ different things. It varies from one insurance provider to another and can depend on the exact type of insurance you need to buy.  

Broadly, your insurance could include:  

  • public liability insurance 
  • professional indemnity insurance 
  • insurance for your tools 

You may also need employers’ liability insurance, depending on your circumstances. 

What is public liability insurance? Do I need it?  

Public liability insurance is designed to protect you and your business if you come into contact with the public or your clients while on the job. It covers you if something your business does causes damage to someone’s property or causes them harm or injury.  

An example would be a member of the public walking past your site and tripping over your tools or being hit by falling debris.  

You may also find that some clients and professional trade bodies need you to be insured as part of their terms.  

What is professional indemnity insurance? Do I need it?  

Professional indemnity insurance protects you if, during the course of your work, you give professional advice which turns out to be incorrect and causes financial damage. This might apply if you give advice, for example, about the design of the brickwork on a project.  

What about tools insurance? Do I really need that?  

If your tools are lost, stolen, or damaged you may not be able to work or afford to buy new ones. Insuring them can be the best and easiest way to make sure you are not left out of pocket or unable to work if this happens. 

Do I need employer’s liability insurance if I don’t employ anyone?  

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if a current or former employee suffers injury or harm as a result of working for you.  

If you employ anyone it is a legal requirement to have this kind of insurance.  

It is important to know that this does not just apply to regular full-time employees. It will also apply if you have a trainee or volunteer, and may be needed for some sub-contractors. 

You can be fined daily if you don’t have employers’ liability insurance when you should, so it’s important to discuss this with your insurance provider.  

I am self-employed. Do I still need insurance?   

You may need insurance even if you are self-employed, although the cost of your premium may be lower than if you run a small, limited company or partnership.  

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.