<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can I get temporary liability insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Can I get temporary liability insurance?

What is ‘liability insurance’?

The term liability insurance is an expression often used to mean different things. As a small business or tradesperson, there are two main types of ‘liability’ insurance you need to be concerned about: public liability insurance and employers’ liability insurance.

What is public liability insurance?

It protects your business if a claim is made against you for an injury or damage suffered by a member of the public, due to something your business did, or failed to do.

Public liability insurance covers the damages and legal costs of a claim.

It is not a legal requirement to have public liability insurance, but it is strongly recommended.

Can I get temporary public liability insurance?

For a business hosting a one-off event, temporary cover is a common requirement. However, if your business hosts several events in a year, an annual policy will be more appropriate.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

This protects your business in the event you are sued by a current or former employee for an injury or illness suffered as a result of working for you.

As with public liability, the policy will cover the cost of any damages and legal fees.

If you employ anyone, even if it is only on a temporary or part-time basis, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance.

Can I get temporary employers’ liability insurance?

This will depend on your circumstances.

For example, if you already have cover for permanent staff, it may also cover you for temporary staff. You will need to check the terms of your policy.

It may be that your insurance covers a maximum number of employees. In these circumstances, your insurer may adjust your premium to reflect the increase in the number of people you employ, for the period that you require.

Can I get temporary cover for short-term staff?

You will need employers’ liability insurance for any short-term staff, casual workers, or contractors.

If you need temporary cover for employees hired for a one-off event, you may be able to get a package of insurance that covers cancellation of the event, employers’ liability, public liability, and damage to property.

You should always discuss changes in your needs with your insurance provider first. Never assume that you don’t need cover or do not require changes to existing policies.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.