<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Do I need insurance as a stonemason? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do I need insurance as a stonemason?

If you’re working as a stonemason, chances are you work with a selection of tools and materials in a range of settings. Whether it’s carving, lettering, or restoration work, handling sharp tools and stone presents an element of risk, so it makes sense to consider insurance.

Do I need insurance as a stonemason?

There are situations in which you will need to be insured. It can be a legal requirement, but in some cases it will be a contractual requirement. Regardless, it is always good practice to consider which insurance you might need.

When is it a legal requirement to have stonemason’s insurance?

It is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance if you have any employees. This includes clerical staff, part-time staff and any trainees or apprentices.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you and your business if a current or former employee makes a claim against you for an injury or illness they suffered while working for you.

If you don’t have insurance when required, you can be fined £2,500 per day.

When is it a contractual requirement to have stonemason’s insurance?

You may often find that larger companies and public sector organisations require you to have public liability insurance as a standard term of their contract with you.

Public liability insurance protects you in the event something you or your team does (or fails to do) causes damage to a third party’s property or injures them.

Professional bodies, such as stonemason or bricklayers’ associations, may also insist you have public liability insurance as a membership requirement.

Even if it’s not a contractual requirement, public liability insurance is important. Third-party claims for injury or damage are common and can amount to thousands of pounds.

Is there any other type of stonemason’s insurance I should have?

You should consider whether to insure your tools due to the potential expense of replacing thousands of pounds of equipment. Suddenly being without your tools because they are lost or stolen could mean not being able to complete a project or meet contractual obligations.

You should also consider professional indemnity insurance. This offers a safeguard if you provide professional advice as part of your work, e.g. information or recommendations relating to design or specifications.

If the advice you give turns out to be negligent and results in a financial loss for the client, your insurance will cover the costs if the client chooses to sue for damages and compensation.  
There may also be other types of insurance you need that are specific to what you do. If you’re not sure about this, speak to an insurance company that has experience of covering tradespeople and the construction industry.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.