<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Shed and carport installer liability cover | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

When does a domestic shed, garage, and carport erector need employers’ liability insurance?

If you work on domestic building projects, such as shed, garage or carport installations, then you will need certain types of insurance to make sure you are compliant and properly protected against occupational risks.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

Employers’ liability insurance is a type of insurance that safeguards against claims made by an employee or former employee who suffers injury, harm, or illness as a result of working for you.

You are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance if you have any employees, even if you only have a single worker, or if they are part-timers or trainees.

Who counts as an ‘employee’?

For the purposes of insurance, an ‘employee’ is anyone who works under a written or verbal contract of service or apprenticeship with an employer, whether it’s for manual labour, clerical work, or something else.

Care is required when working with some sub-contractors as they may be counted as ‘employees’ under the rules.

How much employers’ liability insurance do I need?

You must have at least £5 million in cover. You can be fined £2,500 for every day you don’t have it. You can also be fined if you do not display your employers’ liability certificate or refuse to make it available to inspectors when they ask.

How much will my employers’ liability insurance cost?

This will depend on a few factors, including how many employees you have. However, it is relatively quick and easy to get a quote online from an insurer.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.