<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Shed and carport installer liability cover | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What liability insurance does a domestic shed, garage, and carport erector need?

However careful you are, there are some risks when working in construction. Having financial safeguards in place not only gives you peace of mind; it also protects you if something goes wrong for which you may be held liable.

What different types of insurance do I need?

This will depend on how your business is set up and the type of work you do. However, as a rough rule of thumb, you may need:

  • public liability insurance
  • employers’ liability insurance (in certain circumstances)
  • professional indemnity insurance
  • insurance for your tools.

It may also be sensible to consider financial loss and accident cover.

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?

Public liability insurance protects your business against third-party claims made against you for damage to property or injury to someone.

These types of claims are common. Even a small incident can result in an order to pay thousands of pounds in damages and compensation.

What is employers’ liability insurance and why do I need it?

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee or former employee suffers injury as a result of them working for you. You are legally required to have this type of insurance if you have any employees, including part-time staff and apprentices.

You may also need cover in respect of some sub-contractors you work with.

If you are in any doubt, check with your insurance company. This is important, as you can be fined for every day you don’t have it when required.

What is professional indemnity insurance and why do I need it?

Professional indemnity insurance relates to professional advice you give that turns out to be wrong, resulting in a financial loss for the client. The advice could be about design, materials, or specifications.

Why do I need to insure my  tools?

If your tools are lost or stolen, you may not be able to work until you replace them. That could mean you are unable to finish certain projects or start new ones. This could potentially damage your reputation and cause serious cashflow issues.

Insurance for your tools means you can replace them and quickly get back to work.

Do I need accident cover?

Having personal accident and accidental death cover means you’ll be financially covered if you suffer an accident that prevents you from working, but so will your loved ones if the worst happens to you.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.