<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Shed, garage and carport erector cover | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What does a domestic shed, garage, and carport erectors tradesman insurance policy cover?

There will be some types of insurance that a shed, garage, or carport erector will be legally required to have, and others that may be contractually required. This FAQ examines the different forms of cover and whether they are mandatory.

What is included in my tradesman insurance policy?

What is included in your cover will depend on the insurer and the policy you choose.

Some insurance companies will offer a bundle of insurance policies which can be an effective way to make sure you’re fully covered. You may also decide to choose individual policies. Either way, it’s important to check what is covered and how much cover you have.

What insurance do I need?

The main types of insurance you may need typically includes:

  • public liability insurance 
  • employers’ liability insurance (depending on your circumstances) 
  • professional indemnity insurance 
  • insurance for your tools.

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?

Public liability insurance protects you if something your business does (or fails to do) causes damage to property or injury to someone. These claims are common and can quickly add up to thousands of pounds in damages and compensation.

Large organisations often insist you have public liability as part of your contract, but small clients and individuals may also expect you to have it.

If you are a member of a trade association, you may also find they require you to have cover as part of your membership.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have any employees, including part-time staff, trainees, or apprentices. It protects you if an employee claims for an injury or accident they suffered as a result of working for you.

You can be fined for not having cover when you should. If you’re not sure whether someone you work with counts as an employee, it’s important to check with an insurer.

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance protects you and your business if you give professional advice that turns out to be wrong and results in a financial loss for your client. This could be advice about design, materials, or specifications.

Do I need tools insurance?

Tools insurance covers you in the event your tools are lost, damaged or stolen.

If you can’t afford to replace your tools when you are suddenly without them, your work, business, and reputation could be seriously affected; you won’t be able to meet project deadlines or carry out work, which could leave you in breach of contract.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.