<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What insurances should a roofer have? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What insurances should a roofer have?

If you work as a roofer, you already know there are certain risks involved. That means it’s important to have the right insurance in place just in case something should go wrong.

What are the most important types of insurance policies for roofers?

Having public liability insurance is one type of insurance to consider. If you have any employees (even if they are trainees) then, by law, you must also have employers’ liability insurance.

You should also consider:

  • professional indemnity insurance
  • financial loss insurance
  • accidental death cover
  • insurance for your tools

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?

Public liability insurance protects you and your business if something you do causes injury or harm to someone or damage to property. This relates to members of the public and clients, as opposed to employees.

It’s important to consider this type of insurance because claims of this nature are common in the construction industry. The costs can quickly amount to thousands of pounds.

If you’re found to be responsible for causing injury or damage because of something you did (or failed to do), you will be responsible for paying damages, compensation and legal fees, unless you have insurance.

Many large organisations may insist you have this type of insurance before they will work with you.

What is employers’ liability insurance and why do I need it?

Employers’ liability insurance covers you if a current or former employee suffers illness or injury as a result of working for you.

It is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone, including trainees, part-time staff, and even some sub-contractors.

What is professional indemnity insurance and why do I need it?

Professional indemnity insurance protects you if you provide professional advice in the course of your work, about things like design, materials, or specifications. If this advice is wrong and you are sued by the client, the insurance will cover the costs.

What is financial loss insurance and why do I need it?

Sometimes you or your business may do something which doesn’t cause injury or physical damage to a third party, but does cause them financial loss. Financial loss insurance will protect you if the client makes a claim against you for their losses.

What is accidental death insurance and why do I need it?

Accidental death insurance will provide a lump sum payment to your loved ones if you die in a work accident. This type of cover will provide you with peace of mind, knowing that family members will be financially OK if something were suddenly to happen to you.

Do I really need to insure my tools?

You should always get insurance for your tools. In the event they are stolen, damaged or lost, you will be able to replace them quickly and get back to work.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.