<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What insurance do I need for scaffolding? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What insurance do I need for scaffolding?

If you work with scaffolding, there are several types of insurance you will need. This FAQ examines the most important scaffolding insurance policies.

What are the main types of scaffolding insurance?

The main types of insurance you need to consider for scaffolding include:

  • public liability insurance
  • financial loss insurance
  • employers’ liability insurance
  • accidental death insurance
  • professional indemnity insurance
  • insurance for your tools

What is public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance protects you and your business from third-party claims for damage, injury, and illness. These types of claims are common in construction, especially given the range of potential claims.

The types of incidents covered can vary widely: from minor damage involving a vehicle parked near scaffolding to a structural failure resulting in a serious injury or fatality.

You may find most sizeable clients will insist you have public liability insurance as a term of their contract with you.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

Employers’ liability insurance covers you if, as a result of working for you, an employee suffers injury or illness.

It is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability if you employ anyone. This includes trainees, part-time staff and, in some cases, sub-contractors.

If you are in any doubt about whether you need employers’ liability insurance, you should check with your insurance company. Bear in mind: you can be fined for every day you don’t have it, when you should.

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance protects you if, as part of your work, you provide professional advice, e.g. about design or materials, which turns out to be negligent and causes the client a financial loss.

Why do I need accidental death cover?

Accidental death insurance pays out if you die because of an accident at work. It can bring peace of mind, as it can ensure your loved ones will be financially OK if something were to suddenly happen to you.

Do I really need to insure my tools?

It is important to consider whether to insure your tools. If you have insurance, you can quickly replace them if they are lost, stolen or damaged. You’ll be able to get back to work and avoid missing out on new opportunities or breaching existing contracts.

Do I need any other types of insurance?

There may be other forms of insurance you need depending on the way your business is set up. If you’re not sure what you require, you should speak to a reputable insurer with experience of serving the construction industry. 

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.