<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What does plumbing insurance cover? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What does plumbing insurance cover?

If you work as a plumber, whether self-employed or as a limited company, you should consider whether you have the correct insurances. The type of insurance you need and what your plumbing insurance covers will depend on your unique circumstances.

Should plumbing insurance cover include public liability?

You will need to consider public liability insurance if you come into contact with members of the public. This is designed to cover situations where you or your business causes damage or injury to a third party, for example, if your work triggered a flood in someone’s home.

Should product liability insurance be included?  

Product liability is designed to protect your business in the event of damage or injury caused by something you’ve installed, like a boiler, water pump or water heating system.

Does plumbing insurance cover employers’ liability?

This will depend on whether you employ anyone.

If you have employees, you are legally obliged to have employers’ liability insurance. You will also need it if you have part-time staff, apprentices, volunteers or even some contractors.

Do not assume that you won’t need employers’ liability cover because you work with contractors or don’t consider yourself an ‘employer’. You should always check with your insurance company first.

Will my plumbing insurance include professional indemnity insurance?

If you provide professional advice about designs or specifications, you may need professional indemnity insurance. This will cover you and your business if you give negligent or faulty advice that causes financial loss.

What about insurance for my tools and equipment?

The tools of your trade are one of your most valuable assets. You should make sure they are properly insured, along with your vehicles, in case of theft or damage.

Do I need to insure my business premises?

You should make sure your business premises are insured.

If you work from home, you should check your home insurance policy. It may provide some protection, but you must check that it covers business equipment, as well as the premises themselves.

If you work at someone else’s premises, you should also check to see whether you need additional cover.

Should plumbing insurance include business interruption insurance?

You should consider this type of insurance to protect against loss if your business is unable to operate due to unforeseen circumstances. This could include problems beyond your control, such as a delay to a large project, or unfortunate personal circumstances.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.