<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Why pest and vermin control insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Why do you need pest and vermin control insurance?

If you are working as a pest and vermin controller, it’s important to make sure your business is set up correctly. That means having the right training and equipment, but it also includes having adequate insurance.

Why do I need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance covers you for third-party claims made against you. For example, if you attend an office building and use chemicals or traps and, as a result, someone is hurt, or their property is damaged, public liability will cover the costs if they choose to sue you.

These types of claims are common and can quickly add up to many thousands of pounds. If you are found to be at fault and can’t pay, your business and assets may be at risk. For this reason, many larger clients will insist you have this kind of insurance before they contract with you.

Does a pest and vermin controller need employers’ liability insurance?

This will depend on your circumstances. It is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone, including part-time staff and trainees. If you don’t have this insurance when you are required to do so, you can be fined £2,500 per day.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee or former employee suffers an injury or illness while working for you.

What is professional indemnity insurance, and do I need it?

Professional indemnity insurance covers claims for financial loss caused by professional advice you give which turns out to be wrong or negligent.

As a pest and vermin control professional, you may be asked to give advice about treatment methods or techniques that should be used to exterminate pests or vermin during the course of your work. If this is the case, you should consider this type of insurance.

If a method you have recommended causes a client to incur damage or losses, the cost to you and your business could be significant. Your business could be at risk if you can’t pay a court order to cover the client’s costs.

Is there any other insurance I need?

If your tools are vital for you work, you should consider getting tools insurance. That way, if they are lost or stolen, you can get them replaced quickly and get back to work.

How much does pest and vermin control insurance cost?

This will depend on:

  • the size of your business
  • the sort of work you do
  • the amount of insurance you need

It’s relatively straightforward to get a quote online for all the types of insurance you need, in one convenient bundle. Get in touch with an experienced insurer for details.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.