<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Additional pest and vermin control cover | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What additional insurance do I need for pest and vermin control?

Pest and vermin controllers need to consider robust professional insurance, just like any other business. However, it’s not always easy to know whether you need basic insurance or additional cover to ensure you and your business are properly protected.

What are the main types of insurance I need?

There are three main types of cover you will need to consider:

  • public liability insurance
  • employers’ liability insurance
  • professional indemnity insurance

What is public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance protects your business against claims by third parties for damage to their property or physical injuries your business may be liable for.

Examples include injury to members of the public caused by the methods of pest control you use, such as someone getting a hand caught in a trap, or chemical damage caused to property.

Public liability claims are common. As a result, most large organisations will insist you have public liability cover before they will work with you.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

Employers’ liability insurance protects you against claims made by an employee or former employee for harm or illness suffered while working for you.

If you have any employees, even if they are part timers or trainees, you must have employers’ liability cover. You can be fined for every day you don’t have it, when you should.

What is professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance protects your business if you give professional advice which turns out to be negligent, causing the client a financial loss. This might be advice about different control methods and techniques, or the equipment to be used.

What additional insurance do I need for pest and vermin control?

There are a few other types of insurance you may need as a pest and vermin controller. First, you should consider insurance for your tools. That way, if they are lost or stolen, you will be able to get them replaced quickly so you can get back to work.

You should also make sure you have proper vehicle insurance for your van, if you have one, as your personal car insurance won’t usually cover you for work.

If you have premises that you work from, you must make sure they are properly insured too. Finally, you may wish to consider insurance cover for things like jury service or legal expenses, which may otherwise result in a significant drain on you or your business’ resources.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.