<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Fitted furniture installer employers liability | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

When does a fitted furniture installer need employers’ liability insurance?

If you work as a fitted furniture installer, you may not be sure exactly what insurance you need to be legally compliant. For example, you may think you don’t need employers’ liability, but this requirement is often misunderstood.

What is employers’ liability insurance?

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if a current or former employee suffers harm or develops an illness as a result of working for you.

If you are found to be at fault, you could be ordered to pay damages and compensation. Depending on how serious the injury or illness, this could be anything from a few thousand pounds to hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The costs may include lost earnings, medical treatment, and adaptations to the employee’s home to accommodate living with their injury. Your insurance will cover these costs, as well as the cost of legal fees.

When must you have employers’ liability insurance?

You must have employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone. This includes any part-time staff, seasonal workers, clerical and admin staff, trainees, and apprentices. It can also include some sub-contractors that you work with.

An ‘employee’ is defined as any individual “who has entered into or works under a contract of service or apprenticeship with an employer, whether by way of manual labour, clerical work or otherwise, whether such contract is expressed or implied, oral or in writing.”

If you’re not sure whether a sub-contractor you work with is an employee, check with your accountant or insurance company. You can be fined £2,500 for every day that you don’t have it when you should.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.