<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What is interior designer insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What is interior designer insurance?

If you’re working as an interior designer, you may be wondering what interior designer insurance is and whether you need it. The insurance industry phrases and terminology can feel complex, so this FAQ aims to break the topic down into the key facts.

What is interior designer insurance?

Interior designer insurance is a general term sometimes used to describe several types of insurance policies.

When you are buying your insurance, look carefully at what is included. As an interior designer, the sorts of insurances you may need to consider:

  • public liability insurance 
  • employers’ liability insurance 
  • professional indemnity insurance 
  • insurance for your tools.

Some insurance bundles may also include personal accident cover, financial loss and accidental death cover.

Why does an interior designer need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance is designed to cover you should something you do as part of your work cause injury to a third party or damage to their property. These types of claims are common and have the potential to add up to thousands of pounds.

If you work for any big companies, they may insist you have public liability insurance as a term of your contract. Professional bodies you belong to or wish to join may also require you to have it.

Why does an interior designer need employers’ liability insurance?

You will need employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone. That includes admin staff, part-time staff, and trainees. It can also include some sub-contractors you work with.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee working for you suffers an injury or illness. You can be fined £2,500 for each day you don’t have it when you should.

Why does an interior designer need professional indemnity insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance provides protection in the event you give professional advice about things like design, materials or specifications which turns out to be wrong and causes a financial loss for a client.

It’s not a legal requirement to have it, but it is good practice to consider it.

What other types of insurance should an interior designer have?

This will depend on who you work for, how you work and what is important to you. If you have tools that you need to do your job, then you should always make sure they are insured so that they can be replaced quickly if needed.

If you’re not sure what else you may need, it’s a sensible idea to contact your insurance company or an insurer that is experienced in dealing with professions like yours.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.