<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Liability insurance for French polishers | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Does a French polisher need liability insurance?


As an occupation, French polishing may seem absent of risk. However, as with any trade or profession, it’s still important to make sure you are properly insured, just in case something goes wrong, and to ensure legal compliance.

Does a French polisher need insurance?

In some cases there is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance. You may also need public liability insurance, either as a term of your client contract or as a term of your professional memberships.

When are French polishers legally required to have employers’ liability insurance?

You must have employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone, including part-time staff, trainees, apprentices, and clerical staff. It makes no difference whether the position is a casual arrangement with no written contract.

Some sub-contractors you work with may also be considered ‘employees’ for insurance purposes. 
Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee suffers harm or illness while working for you. This could be a minor medical issue, like a reaction to a certain polish, or something much more serious.

If you don’t have insurance when you should, you can be fined £2,500 a day.

When do French polishers need public liability insurance?

It’s always important to consider public liability insurance because it is designed to protect you in the event something you do (or fail to do) causes damage to a third party’s property or injures them.

These types of claims are common. If you don’t have insurance you can end up paying thousands of pounds in damages, compensation, and legal fees.

You may also find that having public liability insurance is a standard term of some of your client contracts, especially if you’re working with larger companies or public sector organisations. 
If you’re a member of a trade association or professional body, they may also require you to have public liability insurance as a term of your membership.

Are there any other types of insurance a French polisher should have?

You should always make sure you consider insurance for your tools so that, should they be stolen, damaged or lost, you can get them replaced quickly and get back to work

You may also need to consider professional indemnity insurance. This safeguards you against claims for financial loss resulting from professional advice you give which turns out to be negligent.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.