<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What is heating engineers' insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What is heating engineers' insurance?

Whether you operate as a small company or a sole trader, if you work as a heating engineer, it’s important to have proper insurance.

What does the phrase ‘heating engineers’ insurance’ mean?

It’s a general term used to describe a range of different types of insurance you may need. If you get a quote for ‘heating engineers’ insurance’, you should always check to see precisely what is included.

Do I really need heating engineers’ insurance?

If you employ anyone, even on a part-time or voluntary basis, or sometimes even as a subcontractor, you will be legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. If you are not insured, you can be fined for every day you do not have cover.

You should also have insurance to cover several other situations that may occur while you work. These are examined below.

Is insurance part of my professional requirements?

Many large organisations and public sector clients may not contract with you unless you have proper insurance. Some professional bodies, like trades associations, will not allow you to join either, without first having appropriate cover.

Does heating engineers’ insurance include employers’ liability cover?

If you employ anyone, you should make sure your insurance includes employers’ liability. This is designed to protect you in the event you are sued by an employee or former employee for an illness or injury they suffered while working for you.

Should my insurance have public liability cover?

You should consider if you need public liability and whether it’s included, along with considering product liability insurance.

Public liability is designed to protect you in the event a customer or member of the public suffers damage or injury as a result of something your business did (or failed to do).

Similarly Product liability is designed to cover you if someone suffers injury, damage or loss as a result of a product you have supplied or installed, e.g. a gas central heating boiler.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

If you provide advice on designs or specifications, or offer instructions as part of your business, you should consider professional indemnity insurance. It covers you in the event the information you supply leads to a financial loss.

What about my tools? Should they be covered?

You should make sure you consider insurance that protects your tools, equipment, and van against loss, damage, and theft.

You may also want to consider whether you need insurance in respect of the property at which you work.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.