<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What are the different types of insurance for gas engineers? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What are the different types of insurance for gas engineers?

With so many different types of insurance, often using slightly different branding, you may be wondering exactly what kinds of cover a gas engineer needs to protect their business.

Do all gas engineers need the same type of insurance?

It will depend on the type of work you do. However, there will be some types of insurance cover that all gas engineers need. Some of these are listed below.

Do I need employers’ liability insurance?

If you employ anyone, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance.

Employers’ liability insurance protects you in the event an employee sues you for an injury or illness they sustained while working for you.

It doesn’t matter if they are part-timers or trainees, you are still required to have it. You can be fined if you are not insured when you should be.

You may also need cover when working with some sub-contractors. Always check with your insurance company, rather than assume that you do not need employers’ liability insurance.

Do I need public and product liability insurance?

If you come in to contact with members of the public and customers, then you will need to consider public liability insurance. It is designed to protect you if your business causes injury to a third party or damages their property.

Public liability often goes together with product liability. You will need to consider this cover if you supply or install any items, e.g. gas central heating boilers.

You are not legally required to have public or product liability insurance, but both are recommended that you consider. Claims for damage and injury can amount to thousands of pounds. You may also find some clients or businesses will not contract with you unless you are insured.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

If you provide advice about designs, specifications, or give any instructions as part of what you do, you will need professional indemnity cover. This will protect you in the event any advice you provide is found to have caused financial loss to a client.

What other types of insurance are there?

You can get insurance to protect your tools, equipment, and van in the event they are stolen, lost or damaged.

You may also need insurance for any hired equipment that you use.

In addition, consider obtaining cover that protects you in the event your business causes damage to works and site materials where you work.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.