<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Carpenters and joiners insurance | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What is the difference between carpenters' and joiners' insurance?

Whether you work as a joiner or carpenter, it’s important to have the right insurance. But with so much terminology and many types of insurance, it is sometimes difficult to know what you need and what the differences are.

What is included in carpenters’ and joiners’ insurance?

This will depend on your circumstances and the work you do.

If you employ anyone, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This is the same whether you are a joiner or a carpenter.

The requirement applies if you employ:

  • trainees
  • part-time workers
  • full-time staff
  • apprentices

It may even apply to some sub-contractors you work with.

What other types of insurance may carpenters and joiners need?

Both carpenters’ and joiners’ insurance may include other types of insurance depending on who you work with, what you do, and how you do it.

For example, you might need to consider public liability insurance if you come into contact with members of the public or clients. It protects you if something you do causes damage to their property or causes them injury or harm.

Some clients may insist you have public liability insurance as a term of the contract.

What determines the need for public liability insurance is not whether you are a carpenter or a joiner, but if you come into contact with clients or the public, and whether your client requires you to have it.

If you provide professional advice as part of your work, you may also need professional indemnity insurance. This will cover you if your advice is negligent or wrong and causes financial loss or damage.

Again, it doesn’t matter what your job is; it’s whether you provide professional advice that will determine the need for insurance.

Do I need insurance for my tools?

You should always consider insuring your tools, regardless of your trade. You will need to replace them if they are lost or stolen, so you can get back to work quickly.

Are there any other differences?

You may find insurance is cheaper for one trade rather than another. However, the cost of insurance is calculated according to several varying factors, which may include:

  • how your business is set up (limited company, partnership or self-employed)
  • how many employees you have
  • the type of work you do
  • where you carry out your work.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.