<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Why bricklayer-specific insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Why do you need bricklayer-specific insurance?

If you are a bricklayer, you will likely want to (and need to) know what bricklayer-specific insurance you need, and why you need it.

What specific insurance cover do I need?

Bricklayer insurance will normally cover several different things. Some of these are optional. However, if you employ anyone – even trainees, apprentices, and some sub-contractors – you must have employers’ liability insurance as part of your policy.

Employers’ liability protects you if a current or former employee suffers an injury or illness while working for you and decides to sue you.

It is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance if you have employees. You can be fined for each day you are without it, should it be required.

What else is covered by bricklayer insurance?

Your insurance could include some other protections:

Public liability insurance

This is designed to protect your business if a member of the public or a client suffers injury or harm as a result of your work, or you cause damage to their property – e.g. if someone tripped over some bricks and injured themselves, or a brick fell and damaged a car.

Professional indemnity insurance

This covers you if you give professional advice as part of your work, and that advice results in damage or financial loss to a client.

Tools insurance

Your insurance could also include cover for your tools, in the event they are lost or stolen. Check the policy details to understand whether your tools are covered overnight in a van.

Why do I need all this insurance?

You will need employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone, as it is the law.

While you are not legally obliged to have public liability insurance, it is an important consideration. Accidents are surprisingly common, and even a small incident can result in payouts for damages and legal fees totalling thousands or tens of thousands of pounds.

If you do not have insurance, this is money your business will have to pay. You will also have to take time off work to deal with any claim.

If you can’t pay, your business and assets may be at risk.

In addition: if you cannot afford to replace your tools, you may be unable to work. It’s always sensible to be ready to deal with the possibility of loss or theft.

Is there anything else I need to think about?

Some larger clients and public organisations (e.g. local councils or central government departments) may insist you have insurance as a term of the contract. You may not be able to work with them if you don’t have it.

You may also find many trade associations require you to have insurance to join. If you’re not a member, it can undermine your credibility as a respected tradesperson.

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.