<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>When should I get bricklayers' insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

When should I get bricklayers' insurance?

If you are working as a bricklayer, it’s important to get know you’ve got the right insurance. Of course, there are different types of insurance for different circumstances, so it helps to understand the differences.

Is it a legal requirement to have bricklayers’ insurance?  

If you employ anyone, you are legally required to have employers insurance. This is the case even if you only employ them part time, they are a trainee, or volunteering for free. It can also apply to some sub-contractors that work for you.  

You can be fined £2,500 per day if you don’t have insurance when required. If you are in any doubt, check with your insurance company.  

Are there other situations for which I should get bricklayers’ insurance?  

If you work in any location where you could come into contact with the public or clients, you should consider public liability insurance. This is designed to protect your business if something you do causes damage to someone’s property or causes bodily injury or harm.  

These sorts of insurance claims are common. For example, a client could trip over tools left on-site or a tool could be dropped off scaffolding onto a parked car below.  

Claims like these can quickly add up to thousands or even hundreds of thousands of pounds.  

You may also find that, for larger contracts, clients may insist you have public liability insurance as part of your contract. You may also be unable to join some trade associations without it.  

In addition, having public liability insurance demonstrates to clients that you are a reputable business. It can also provide you with peace of mind across all projects you work on.  

Should I insure my tools and equipment?  

You should always consider whether to insure your tools against loss, theft or damage. Having insurance means you can replace them quickly and get back to work.  

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?  

You may need this if you provide professional advice as part of your work. This could be information about things like design or specifications.  

If your advice causes financial loss to the client, your professional indemnity insurance will cover the costs should they decide to sue you.  

If you’re not sure whether this applies to you, talk to your insurance company.  

Is insurance on a project-by-project basis?  

When you get insurance, it will normally be for a year. You should arrange cover straightaway if you are working and don’t have cover.  

Occasionally, there may be exceptional circumstances when you need a particular type of insurance for a project. You should always discuss this with your insurance company.  

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.