<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What insurance does a self-employed bricklayer need? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What insurance does a self-employed bricklayer need?

If you’re a bricklayer you may need insurance, even if you work on a self-employed basis.  

Why do I need insurance if I’m self-employed?  

Insurance is designed to protect you in the event something goes wrong, such as an accident or a mistake. It doesn’t matter whether you are self-employed or operate as a limited company, you will still need insurance to protect you in these circumstances.  

If a court orders you to pay damages, and you don’t have insurance, you will have to pay this yourself. The cost could put your business and your assets at risk.  

What insurance do I need?  

There are several types of insurance you may need. These include:  

  • public liability insurance 
  • professional indemnity insurance 
  • employers’ liability insurance 
  • insurance for your tools 

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?  

Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business in the event you cause damage to someone’s property, or cause someone injury or harm. For example, a brick could fall from scaffolding and damage a car, or a passer-by or client might trip over your tools.  

Incidents like these are surprisingly common, and the damages claimed as a result can add up to a large amount of money. Without insurance you will be responsible for legal fees and dealing with legal proceedings, which can be stressful, costly, and time consuming.  

You may also find that some of your clients require you to have public liability insurance as a term of your contract.  

What is professional indemnity insurance and why do I need it?  

Professional indemnity insurance protects in the event you give professional advice which turns out to be wrong or negligent and causes damage. For example, you may give advice about the types of bricks to use, the pattern to use, or the treatment of bricks.  

Do I need employers’ liability insurance?  

Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement for anyone who employs someone. This type of insurance will protect you if a current or former employee suffers harm as a result of working for you and decides to sue.  

If you’re self-employed you may think this doesn’t apply to you. However, it can if you work with trainees or sub-contractors.  

It’s important to discuss with your insurance company whether it applies to you or not. 

Do I need to insure my tools?  

Your tools are your livelihood. Without them it will be very difficult to work.  

If your tools are lost, damaged or stolen, you won’t be able to work until you’ve bought replacements. Having insurance to cover your tools means you’ll be back to work ASAP. 

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.