<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>How to start a bricklaying business | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

How to start a bricklaying business

Running your own bricklaying business offers lots of advantages. Of course, you still need to work hard, and will need to take responsibility for all the different aspects of the operation. In this post, we examine the essentials you’ll need to know before starting up.

How do I become a bricklayer? 

If you are new to bricklaying, you’ll need to get some qualifications and experience. Lots of courses are available. You may also be able to complete an apprenticeship, which will allow you to work and learn.

If you are already working as a bricklayer but don’t have qualifications, it doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t set up your own business – after all, experience counts. Just bear in mind that clients will want to be certain you are skilled and know what you’re doing.

Do I need to join a bricklayers’ association?

You don’t have to join a professional organisation like a bricklayers’ guild, but it is a good idea. They often offer a few perks and important resources. The fact you are a member also reassures clients of your professional reputation.

Do I need to set up a limited company?

You have a choice as to how you set up your business. You can operate as a sole trader, a limited company or as a partnership. There are different legal rules for each, and different tax rules will apply.

It’s important to take professional advice about which is the best option for you, and to ensure you understand what your responsibilities are according to the option you decide upon.

How do I get clients?

The first thing you need to decide is what types of clients you want to work for. For example, do you want to work for homeowners, domestic house builders, or large commercial organisations?

Regardless of your market, some basic things to do include:

  • contacting anyone you know in the sector
  • setting up a website and social media presence
  • joining professional organisations
  • adding graphics to your van (if you have one) that display your contact details
  • advertising in the local press

How do I quote and invoice clients?

There are lots of affordable software solutions available that will help with the accounting side of your business and allow you to quote, invoice and run various reports, all of which help ensure you stay on top of the finances.

Do I need insurance?

You should always have business insurance.

Many clients and professional bodies will insist you have public liability insurance. Sometimes also known as third-party insurance, it covers you and your business if something you do causes harm to a third party or damages their property.

If you plan to employ anyone, even a trainee or apprentice, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This protects you if an employee suffers injury or harm as a result of working for you.

Other types of insurance you should consider include:

  • professional indemnity insurance: covers you if you give any advice to a client which turns out to be negligent and causes them a financial loss
  • insurance for your tools

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.