<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Do bricklayers need insurance? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do bricklayers need insurance?

If you are a bricklayer, you need to make sure you are properly set up for business. One of the key parts of your preparations will be whether you need insurance.  

Do bricklayers need insurance? 

The only situation in which you may not need insurance is when you are an employee. 

What amounts to an ‘employee’ can be a grey area. Be aware: if you are a sub-contractor you may want to consider which insurance you need.  

If you have any doubts over your employment status, you should discuss this with your insurance company or accountant.  

Is it a legal requirement for bricklayers to have insurance?  

If you employ anyone, even on a part-time basis or as a trainee, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This may also apply if you use certain sub-contractors. 

Again, check with your insurance company if you are unsure.  

If I don’t employ anyone, do I still need insurance?  

Even if you don’t employ anyone, you may still want to consider:  

  • public liability insurance 
  • insurance for your tools  

Depending on the nature of your work, you may also need:  

  • professional indemnity insurance.  

What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?  

Public liability insurance is designed to protect you and your business if something you do causes injury to someone or damages their property.  

Two typical examples are:  

  • a member of the public or client tripping and falling over bricks left in a publicly accessible location  
  • a tool falling from a height onto a vehicle parked near a building site.  

The sorts of claims that result from these incidents are common. However, the costs for the tradesperson responsible can add up to many thousands of pounds.  

It’s not a legal requirement to have public liability insurance, but larger clients and public sector organisations (e.g. local councils) may insist you have it when you work for them. Your trade association may also insist that you are insured.  

Do I really need insurance for my tools?  

If your tools are stolen or damaged you may not be able to work, which in turn may make it difficult to find the money to replace your tools or complete a contract.  

By having insurance for your tools, you can be confident that if something happens to them, you’ll be able to replace them quickly and get back to work.  

What is professional indemnity insurance and why do I need it?  

Professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect you if you give advice as part of your work which turns out to be faulty and causes a financial loss for the client.  

If the client chooses to sue you to recoup the loss, your insurance will be able to cover the costs. 

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.