<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>What insurance do I need as tradesman? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

What insurance do I need as tradesman?

17 February 2021

It is important for tradespeople to be aware of what insurances are available to them. If you are employed by someone else, it’s not likely that you will need to arrange your own tradesman insurance, but do check with your employer to see if they have the right cover in place.

If you are self-employed, it’s important to realise the types of insurances available to you. The most common ones for tradespeople to consider are trades Public Liability insurance, Professional Indemnity insurance, Tools insurance and Van insurance.

But you may also wish to think about the following insurance:


Why do you need coverage for your trade's business?

We know it can be confusing, but it works in your favour. Because you can pick and choose which elements of cover you actually need. That way you’re protected for the type of work you do, and not overpaying for things you don’t need.

Builders, plumbers, electricians, handymen, locksmiths and cleaners – your chosen profession means you are working around members of the public. You’re also operating specialist equipment, in people’s homes, and driving from job to job. The nature of your job, and the environment in which you’re working means there’s a greater risk of accidents happening than in some other working environments.

But when you’re insured for those mishaps, the risk of financial loss or damage to your business is greatly reduced. A quick quote online, or one quick call to your insurance provider and you could be covered in no time - from injury caused by trips over a toolbox to expensive legal and compensation claims.

What does it cost to protect your business?

As your insurance cover can vary greatly, so can the cost. When you’re dealing with an insurance provider who has experience of tradespeople – they know the right questions to ask. That way you don’t end up paying any more than you need to. You may be asked for your location, the size of your business and team and what type of equipment you use. From this, a quote can be easily produced, and you can be covered swiftly.

Trade Direct is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The company is a leading UK independent broker providing a wide range of policies to tradesmen and construction workers.

This note is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon for such or regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this note we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained herein. You should not act upon information in this bulletin nor determine not to act, without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. We and our officers, employees or agents shall not be responsible for any loss whatsoever arising from the recipient’s reliance upon any information we provide herein and exclude liability for the content to fullest extent permitted by law.

Share this story

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.