<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-WCK3FXN" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Do plumbers do tiling work? | Trade Direct Insurance
Need a hand? Get expert support on your cover from a real human
0800 0280 380 or

Do plumbers do tiling work?

20 November 2023

A plumber will typically work in a bathroom, kitchen, or wet room: spaces which often have tiled walls or floors.

As tiling must sometimes be removed to access plumbing systems, it isn’t unreasonable to assume that a plumber may also be able to carry out tiling work.

A plumber will install, maintain, and repair plumbing systems

What does a plumber do?

A plumber is involved in the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing systems. A plumbing system is made up of the pipes, fixtures and appliances that provide and remove water, waste, and gas from a property. The appliances could be sinks, showers, or baths.

In most properties, the plumbing system will include hot- and cold-water supplies, ensuring a toilet can flush properly, etc. At least part of the plumbing system is normally hidden from view, with the pipework under floors, in walls or concealed in cupboards.

It’s a plumber’s job to make sure a plumbing system is working safely and efficiently. They also need to be able to locate and access any broken or leaking pipes or appliances to repair or replace them.

To do these things effectively requires specific plumbing qualifications and experience. In addition, to ensure that their liabilities are covered, every plumber should have appropriate plumbers’ insurance.

Accessing concealed plumbing systems

Sometimes, when there is a leak or an issue, a plumber must access a plumbing system that is concealed behind tiling. This could occur in a bathroom, shower unit, or kitchen. Unfortunately, it usually means removing the tiles.

Alternatively, if it’s a new build or renovation project, a plumber may be installing a plumbing system for the first time in an area which needs to be tiled over to complete the job. To achieve this, a tiler is almost always required to do the tiling

A tiler will have the training, expertise and insurance cover needed to complete a job properly and responsibly

Do I need a tiler?

Tiling is a skilled profession. A tiler will normally have specific qualifications or have completed an apprenticeship or some sort of training.

They will need maths skills for estimating space and the number of tiles needed, and for the specifications of the tiles. They will also need to be able to work with a variety of materials including cement, grout, plaster, filler and waterproofing. 
Tilers also need to be able to:

  • cut and shape tiles
  • prepare walls, floors, and other surfaces
  • ensure tiles are flush and level 
  • fill holes and create designs.

In addition to a tiler’s qualifications and experience, a good tiler will also have proper tilers’ insurance to cover the particular risks involved in their work.

Can a plumber carry out tiling work?

If you have a plumbing issue that requires the area to be made good with some tiling, then you will require the services of both a plumber and tiler.

Should you be working as a plumber and a client asks you to carry out the tiling to finish the job, you should think carefully before you agree.

You can be an excellent plumber, but that does not necessarily make you a good tiler. In addition, plumber’s insurance will cover work on a plumbing system, but will not necessarily cover any subsequent tiling work. 

If a plumbing job involves tiling, a skilled tiler will also be needed

If you are a client and a plumber tells you they can do tiling, be prepared to ask them about their qualifications and experience. Some tradespeople are trained and experienced in both trades, but this is typically the exception – not the rule.

Finding the right insurance for your plumbing or tiling business

Trade Direct Insurance specialises in providing insurance for a range of trades, including plumbing and tiling. We have 40 years of experience and are committed to helping our clients find the right insurance policies for their businesses.

Our insurance cover for both plumbers and tilers come as single customisable packages. In addition to covering essential business liabilities, we also provide professional indemnity, accidental death cover and tools insurance.

Optional insurance, such as contract works and jury service cover, is also available depending on your business circumstances and the level of cover you want.

For more information about our insurance for plumbers or tilers, get in touch with Trade Direct Insurance today. Call 0800 0280 380 or email: enquiries@tradedirectinsurance.co.uk.

Trade Direct is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The company is a leading UK independent broker providing a wide range of policies to tradesmen and construction workers.

This note is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon for such or regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this note we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained herein. You should not act upon information in this bulletin nor determine not to act, without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. We and our officers, employees or agents shall not be responsible for any loss whatsoever arising from the recipient’s reliance upon any information we provide herein and exclude liability for the content to fullest extent permitted by law.

Share this story

Popular products

Trade Direct Insurance Services Limited (company number 1580129). Registered office Mill Pool House, Mill Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1EY. Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), firm registration number 307734. You can check this by visiting the FCA website at www.fca.org.uk/register or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768

© Trade Direct Insurance Services Ltd; All Rights Reserved.